IHM has come up with an awesome tag! And its called ‘My sins against gender stereotypes. And I am quoting her here. She says,
Have you ever wanted something that is considered ‘manly’ ? Like a basketball, a cell phone, a dog, a camera or a new laptop? A new car or motor bike? Ever wanted to be a pilot? A doctor or not a nurse? And the manliest want of them all – The remote!
As a kid did you enjoy playing with a bat and a ball?
There was a time when books were considered ‘manly’, women authors had to pretend to be men – would you say books are still rather manly – women should want to embroider and crochet?
This is for a women.. and for men..
Have you ever wanted something that only women are supposed to want – like bags, shoes, clothes, creams, perfumes, babies, flowers? A peaceful home and a happy family? Have you ever been afraid of the dark or of insects?
As a kid did you ever want to play ‘teacher-teacher’, cooking or did you like playing with a doll? Have you ever enjoyed cooking? Bought something in pink? Loved chocolates?
This I have and how!
My dad always wanted a male child after birth of my sister just so that he is the only man in the family. As it happened his plea was not heard and so, he ended up considering me as a male child substitute. And not just him my mom too.
So here goes my list of 10 things thats considered manly and which I have done.
1. I wore and still wear shorts n tees whenever I can. As a kid I tend to run amok in undies until I was 10. My mom had to scold me to wear some ‘clothes’
2. I have climbed trees, walls et al. ( I still do. but am not as adventurous as before.. )
3. I have walked alone on the roads late nights. Just to prove that I can though am not a guy.
4. I love being dared with the words.. ‘you are a girl you cant do it..’ You bet I would do that thing or die trying to.
5. I can talk on any topic. No topic is taboo for me when it comes with the right person. I talk according to the comfort level I feel with the particular person
6. I love arguing. Unless there is too much ego involved I can argue to death while nothing is concluded and the original topic is forgotten
7. I shop like a guy. I have my list and I buy just that. If I get confused between 2 of the options, I buy both. It doesnt take me more than 15-30 min to finish shopping.
8. I hate talking about cosmetics. ( Doesn’t stop me from using them though.)
9. I love mobiles. Have lost/ discarded/broken many of them. And keep checking for the new future ones 😛
10. Oh I have eve teased guys . Hidden from the terrace and all. Cat calls and throwing balloons have done it all
Phew! It was harder than I thought it would be. May be … after everything said and done, I am a womanly woman. May be.
But then, most guys forget that they have a woman with them when they are with me. And when I remind them, guys, you have a woman with you.. don’t forget and they would be like whose a woman? you ? ah well…
Okay. When I read the tag, I thought its about the time when I let the gender bias get better of me. That would be an interesting list too. Look forward to that soon.
Btw, am not tagging anyone.. but others are welcome to take it up. What to do. I love the color blue 😀 😀